Tuesday, November 3, 2015

A Visit to the Barber

Since arriving in Nicaragua, I have been wearing my hair very short.  It is easy and I like it.  During training I asked a volunteer who came to do some presentations for us where she got her hair cut and she said she goes to the barber.  It is cheap and they do a good job.  I tried it in my training town and was satisfied.  Our site mate Zach told me about his barber Myron so I decided to try him out a few months ago.  He did a lot of clipping and buzzing and the used a razor around the edges, which made me a little nervous but in the end I was pleased with the hair cut. 

Today (about two months since the last cut) I went back.  As soon as I walked in Myron said, “Deborah! Cómo está?”  I was a little embarrassed because I did not remember his name. I won’t forget it again.  He was busy with another customer whom he was getting ready to shave.  Another barber was working on a little boy who was sitting absolutely still for the process.  Myron’s two nephews appeared and while I waited for my haircut, I watched the two of them getting theirs.  There was lots of buzzing, product and fussing, once again with the razor.  They were still and delightful to watch.  The barbers were having fun joking around with them. 

Myron shaving the customer before me
Little boy sitting still while barber works the razor
Nephew waiting his turn


When it was my turn Myron did quick work with the buzzer and the razor.  I noticed he had his beard in a rubber band and I asked him if he was growing it.  He said he had a long beard once and would like one again but he is not sure because of the heat.  I told that my son has his long beard in two braids that go to his waist.  His eyes lit up and he asked if I had a picture so I promised to bring one next time. The final product was just what I wanted and I was particularly pleased with the price: 30 Córdovas, which translates to a tad bit over a dollar.

My new haircut

1 comment:

  1. Joyce Franey ColemanNovember 3, 2015 at 6:36 AM

    Looking good Debbie! I love your posts and hearing about your adventure! Myron is a good businessman and a good barber. I love that he remembered your name.. Stay well, and have fun... Hugs, Joyce

    ReplyDelete